Update – Dec. 2016: People have asked me if I thought the inhaled steroids caused his liver disease. I tend to attribute it to how he grew up, in a home filled with toxins because I did not know better. I was young and he was my first cat. He grew up will all of the following: Smoking. Febreeze sprayed on all furniture and pet beds. Powdered carpet fresheners sprinkled prior to vacuuming, which he probably walked on and licked off his paws and fur. Exterminators spraying toxins in the living areas of our rented apartments (I bought my first home 4 months before he passed away). Scented cat litter. Being wiped down with dryer sheets to limit static electricity (because I read that as a tip somewhere and naively thought it brilliant). Harsh cleaning chemicals and air fresheners. And of course, low-quality cat food for his first 9 or 10 years. I no longer do any of those things. Maybe some air fresheners and Lysol, and dryer sheets used in the dryer only, that’s it.